Date: July 25 to July 31, 2017
Our Jose’s Hands grant will cover up to $500 of the costs below.
ABOUT THE TRIP
We will form a unique collaboration between Jose’s Hands, One to the Other Ministries, and medical officials in the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Together we will harnesses the expertise of dedicated health and medical professionals to address a myriad of challenges in the Dominican Republic and Haiti.
The main goal of our medical mission is to provide medical care to a large number of under-served people in the Dominican Republic and Haiti. The 7-day trip will provide medical help to an under-served community in the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Students will be led by Dominican and American medical professionals. We will set up six different clinics in various cities around Santiago-Rodríguez and Villa Vázquez.
Most of the people who receive assistance are women, children, and elderly.
One to the Other Ministries started operation in the fall of 1986 with an inaugural trip to the city of Acapulco in the country of Mexico. It was in this resort city, known for its beautiful beaches, vistas, and people, that OTTOM brought in a group of doctors and nurses, preachers, and teachers to the areas seldom seen by tourists for a 10-day outreach. One to the Other Ministries has focused on medical missions merging medicine and prayer with great success for many years. This combination of medical and evangelistic teams has proven to be the perfect strategy for this ministry and thus is still being used today.
- Day 0: Arrange to be in Miami.
- Day 1: Leave Miami to DR. Transfer to Santiago Rodríguez (1 hr est travel time). After checking into hotel, team meal and meeting.
- Day 2: Full day of clinic at Maguana, Greater Santiago Rodríquez (est 9am-4pm). Team meeting after dinner.
- Day 3: Full day of clinic at Greater Santiago Rodríguez (Polideportivo) (est 8am-4pm). Evening youth meeting with local church.
- Day 4: Half day of clinic at Greater Santiago Rodríguez (est 8am-1pm). Team Dynamics celebrating 4th of July at Monte Cristi Beach.
- Day 5: Sunday service at Free Methodist Church. After lunch, travel to Villa Vásquez (Zamba Community) (1 hr est travel time). Abbreviated clinic (est 3pm-6pm).
- Day 6: Full day of clinic at villages near Villa Vásquez (Cerrogordo) (est 8am-5pm).
- Day 7: Early departure to Santiago airport (90 min est travel time). Travel directly to Miami, then make connections to hometowns if applicable.
The heart of the mission is to serve the needy, which we will accomplish by touching each life via our care, our compassion, and our love toward each child, each adult, and each family we will see.
The medical students will shadow the doctors for the first couple days, and you will experience a change in the days to follow as the doctors will give you more freedom in dealing directly with the patient, giving you a more accurate “taste” of what you will experience in the future as a doctor.
From the arrival of the patients, we will register them, take them to triage, and then take them to see and visit with the doctors. Once the examination is completed, each patient will receive a list of medications that a runner will take to our pharmacy. As the prescriptions are being filled, the patient will be transported to the prayer room, and a group of folks will pray for the needs of each and every one.
After the prayer… both prescriptions and patients will be reunited, and they are free to go home.
Jose’s Hands and One to the Other Ministries… Together…
Touching Lives… and… Impacting Communities!
The cost is $979* per person and includes international airfare from Miami (MIA) to Santiago de los Caballeros (STI), Dominican Republic; all air taxes and fees; in-country lodging for six 6 nights with all taxes included; all transfers from and to the airport; all in-country transportation in air-conditioned buses; all meals in the Dominican Republic and Haiti; and official OTTOM mission shirt.
- Deposit of $150 non-refundable to due to OTTOM by – March 15
- Flight – purchase as soon as possible to get the best price
- Scholarship is awarded on your behalf once you purchase the flight and send Jose’s Hands and the host organization your flight confirmation
- Final Payment – June 10
*Price subject to change due to many factors, but usually never does.
MEDICAL SCHOOL STUDENTS: The mission cost mentioned above is $979, of which the Jose’s Hands grant will cover up to $500. The difference is payable directly to the hosting organization, One to the Other Ministries, via check payable to One to the Other Ministries and mailed to One to the Other Ministries, 5131 E 25th PL, Tulsa, OK 74114-3729. If you choose to pay by PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org and write in the notes section Jose’s Hands trip. However, if using PayPal, please add 2.5% to the total bill for PayPal bank fees. To secure your spot, students must mail One to the Other Ministries a $150 deposit by March 15 and the balance by June 15.
AWARDING THE SCHOLARSHIP: The scholarship is awarded on your behalf once you purchase the flight and send Jose’s Hands and the host organization your flight confirmation. Send your flight information to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Flight Confirmation for [First Name Last Name]”
Jose’s Hands will help you create an online fundraising portal. You will simply create a profile, set your fundraising goal, and begin sharing your page among friends and family. With easy social media sharing tools, your fundraising page will go viral among social media circles, and you will raise your portion of the mission trip cost in no time.