This scholarship is designed to meet the needs of those students who participate in international medical missions and relief trips. It is specifically designed for those trips of a short-term basis that do not meet the requirements for the International Health Program Scholarship. Each student selected for the scholarship will receive up to $250 to cover transportation, room, board and essential expenses related to an international medical relief/mission trip. The completion of this trip may take place during any part of the four years of study.
Requirements for consideration:
- Student Osteopathic Medical Association active membership.
- Demonstrate a strong interest in international medicine.
- The trip does not have a length requirement but must take place in a country outside of the United States.
- Once chosen for the scholarship, the site may not be changed without verbal and/or written consent of the Director of Scholarships and Grants.
- Although not required, recipients are HIGHLY encouraged to attend the National SOMA conference for which the award will be presented. Our gracious donors greatly appreciate the opportunity to personally meet the recipients and congratulate them. This not only provides us with photograph and publicity opportunities, but allows us to promote and to sustain our relationships with donors, thereby allowing us to maintain continual scholarship and grant opportunities for our current and future SOMA members.
The applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and awards will be distributed each year at the annual spring SOMA convention in Washington D.C. Awards may be applied to rotations that have previously occurred or are yet to occur as long as the applicant is still a student at an accredited college of osteopathic medicine at the time the scholarship is awarded. Scholarships will be awarded to the extent that funding permits. Recipients will be selected at the discretion of the scholarship selection committee.
Deadline: extended to January 30th 2015